Lion’s Gate October 23, 2005
The Dome of the Rock
December 18, 2004
known in Hebrew as Kipat Ha-Sela and in Arabic as Qubbat as-Sakhrah, the Dome of the Rock is one of the first and most familiar acheivements of Islamic architecture, it marks the spot from where most Muslims believe the Prophet Muhammad ascended to heaven on the bak of his fabulous horste, before returning to earth to record his vision. This association has made the building (together with the neighbouring al-Aqsa Mosque) the third-holiest site in Islam after Mecca and Medina. Built 687-691 by the ninth Omayyad caliph. Abd al-Malik, the Dome is probably the most spectacular building in the Old City, topped with a dazzling golden dome visible from afar, the interior layered with glittering ceramics, mosaics and Arabic calligraphy. Despite common conecptions, the Dome is not a mosque, but a shrine which protects beneath its high ceiling, a large piece of Rock sacred to Muslims, Jews and Christians. The Rock is variously believed to be where Abraham was asked to sacrifice his son, Isaac, where Mohammad left the Earth on his Nigh Journey (a small indentation was reportedly left by his foot), as well as the site of the Holy of Holies of Herod’s Temple.
Construction of the mosque began less than 20 years after the completion of the Dome of the Rock. Al-Aqsa has undergone many changes since its original construction. When the Crusaders captured Jerusalem in the 11th century, Al-Aqsa became the headquarters of the Templars. The mosque’s design pales in comparison to the Dome of the Rock and its off-limits to non-Muslim visitors.
the result of rapid expansion under Byzantine rule, is located int he northwest corner of the city and is home to a bewildering array of churches, patriarchates and hospices of the city’s many Christian
denominations. The quarter is served by the Jaffa Gate and the New Gate.
1. Church of the Holy Sepulcre 2. Lutheran Church of the Redeemer 3. Muristan 4. Church of St. John the Baptist 5. A walk on the roofs
The Christian Quarter, the result of rapid expansion under Byzantine rule, is located in the northwest corner of the city and is home to a bewildering array of churches, patriarchates and hospices of the city’s many Christian denominations. The quarter is served by the Jaffa Gate and the New Gate.
Church of the Holy Sepulchre
accessible from Christian Quarter Road or a small opening from Souk el-Dabbagha.
Marking the traditional site where Jesus was believed to have been crucified, and nearby buried, the church has a fractions history that has shaped its eclectic architecture. This history continues to the current day,
where parts of the Holy Sepulchre are controlled by several different branches of the Christian Church, who have historically been somewhat at odds with each other (to the piont of occasional fisticuffs between
monks and priests). Thus, its historical value is as a demonstrative monument to the highs, lows and internal disputes in the history of the Christian Church.
This is the entrance to the Church, a single door in the south transept. The key to the entrance is held by the Muslim Nuseibeh family who were entrusted with guardianship by Saladin in 1192 to keep the peace
between the various Christian factions. After periods of tension between the Nuseibeh family and the Ottoman authorities in the 18th century, the ottoman authorities appointed the Joudeh family to assist the
Nuseibeh’s in their task. Today, the Joudeh family still assiss the Nuseibehs by bringing the key of the church to a member of the Nuseibeh family who unlocks and locks the door on a daily basis.
“Stone of Anointing”
This stone dates to the renovations of the church in A.D. 1810. It commemorates the preparation of Jesus’ body for
burial by Joseph of Arimathea and Nicodemus.
Modern Greek, Orthodox mosaic that portrays events following the death of Jesus. Reading it from right to left: The removal of Jesus’ body from the cross. The skull below the cross represents that of
Adam-the first man who sinned. The symbolism seems to be that of the second Adam (Jesus) reversing the curse brought by the first Adam.
Tomb of Jesus
(pictures of July 13, 2003 and May 17, 2006)
The whole of the image is taken up with the marble facing on the monument where the tomb of Jesus was located. Unfortunately, the original tomb was destroyed by a mentally unstable moslem,
Hakim, in A.D. 1009, but the current monument is built over the same spot as the original tomb.
A piece of the stone where it was said that Jesus got his first nails into his body.
Tower of David
now occupied by the Tower of David Museum of the History of Jerusalem, the Citadel is an imposing fortress inside the city wall beside the Jaffa Gate. Utilized and expanded throughout the centuries as
a means of protection, excavations have revealed remains dating back to the 2nd century BC and indicate that there was a fortress here in Herodian times. The museum provides visitors with 3 routes
highlighting different aspects of the Citadel, namely: Exhibit, Panorma and Excavation. The routes are advisory only and provided for visitors’ convenience. An 1873 model of Jerusalem is on display in an
underground cistern near the exit. - December 22, 2003
is the smallest and quietest of the four. The quarter runs itself as a city within a city, shutting all gates when night falls. There is also a small and interesting msueum int he quarter, as well as a library and many other community structures.
1. The Citadel 2. St. Mark’s Church 3. A Walk on the Roofs 4. St. James Cathedral
To be honest, there is not really anything going on in the Armenian Quarter. When I have visited it it felt quite small and doors were closed.I only were able to visit a shop.
feels distinclty different from the rest of the Old City. Razed by the Jordanians after the partition of the former British Mandate of Palestine in 1948, most buildings in it have been rebuilt from scratch since the Jewish reoccupation of 1967. Despite strict laws mandating the use of Jerusalem sandstone in all facades in order to maintain uniformity, the buildings look and feel new. In a somewhat tit-for-tat move the current wide plaza in front of the Western Wall was created by bulldozing a section of the Muslim Quarter.
1. The Cardo 2. Hurva Synagogue 3. Wohl Archaeological Museum 4. The Broad Wall
5. The Burnt House 6. Western Wall 7. Ophel Archaeological Garden
Known in Hebrew as Ha-Kotel Ha-Ma’aravi, the Western Wall, which dates back over 2,000 years and marks the western edge of the Temple Mount, is th only surviving remnant of the Temple Mount. As part of the retaining wall of the Temple Mount, it was built by Herod the Great during his expansion of the Temple in 20 BC. The wall became the Jews’ chief place of pilgrimage during the Ottoman Period where they lamented the destruction of the temple by the hands of the Romans in AD 70. For this reason it has also become known as the “Wailing Wall”. As the Jews are forbidden access to the Temple Mount, this is the only part of the structure they are allowed to approach.
The plaza in front of the Wall is divided by a fence with a large area for men on the left and a smaller area for women on the right. Non-Jews are allowed to approach the wall as long as their heads are covered (complimentary kippahs are provided upon entry), dress appropriately, and behave with decorum. The wall acts as an outdoor synagoge with written prayers inserted into the crevices between the large stones.
a wodden wall separating the men from the women - welcome to the old world - women still get discriminated by men till modern times
Rampart Walk - a walk on the wall!
Church of the Dormition, this Mount Zion church is the traditionel site of the Virgin Mary’s death. The present day structure was built in the early 20th century for the visit of Kaiser Wilhelm II. The main part of the church contains a mosaic floor featuring the signs of the zodiac and the names of various saints and prophets. A statue of the Virgin Mar rests in the crypt surrounded by images of varous women listed in the Old Testament.
The 14 Stations of Jesus - Der Kreuzzug
Dieser Kreuzweg wird von den Franziskanern in einer täglichen Prozession ab 15 Uhr (16 Uhr im Sommer) gebetet. Die Stationen I und X sind außer zu diesem Zeitpunkt nicht öffentlich zugänglich. Der Auferstehung wird in einer zusätzlichen 15. Station gedacht.
Station I - Hof der muslimischen Mädchenschule Omariya an der Stelle, wo sich früher die römische Festung "Antonia" befand
Station II - Franziskanerkapelle der Verurteilung und Kapelle der Geißelung
Station III - Polnische Kapelle beim armenisch-katholischen Patriarchat gegenüber der Österreichischen Hospiz
Station IV - Armenisch-katholische Kapelle zwischen Geschäften in der Al-Wad-Straße
Station V - Oratorium der Franziskaner an der Kreuzung Al-Wad-Straße/Via dolorosa
Station VI - Französische Veronikakirche und Kloster der kleinen Schwestern Jesu in der Via Dolorosa
Station VII - Kapelle der Franziskaner an der Kreuzung Via Dolorosa/Suuq Khan e-Zeit
Station VIII - Markierungskreuz in der Wand des griechischen Klosters an der Rueckseite der Grabeskirche in der El-Khanqa-Straße
Station IX - Dach der Grabeskirche, vorbei am koptischen Patriarchat
Station X - Kapelle der Kleiderverteilung neben dem zugemauerten Eingang zur Grabeskirche
Station XI - roemisch-katholische Kapelle neben der Kreuzigungsstelle auf Golgotha in der Grabeskirche
Station XII - Ein Loch unter dem griechisch-orthodoxen Altar bezeichnet die Stelle, in der das Kreuz Jesu stand
Station XIII - Salbungsstein im Bereich des Eingangs der Grabeskirche
Station XIV - das Heilige Grab in der Grabeskirche
go to next page