Bandai Azuma Skyline
Goshiki-Numa 5 Lakes
Kanome City Waterfall/Wasserfall
Masugata Castle remains / Schlossruine
Ouchi-juku in Yamagataya An old Post Town
Tsuruga Castle Schloss
Yukiwari Bridge & waterfalls / Brücke & Wasserfälle
Yukiwari Bridge/Brücke & Waterfalls/Wasserfälle
Ouchi-juku in Yamagataya
Ouchijuku is a well preserved former post town going back to the Edo Time. Travellers who were under restrictions set by shogunate were required to travel on foot. Post towns were developed along
Aizu-Nishi Kaido so that they can also offer food and acommodation to travellers. To keep an original touch, telephone and electricity wires were buried. Today, all houses acommodate restaurants and gift shops and one museum.
Keeping drinks in the cold water cool. Getränke werden hier im kalten Wasser gekühlt.
Yunokamionsen Station, the only station with a thatched rooftop
CASTLE / SCHLOSS
The stone wall here seen was repaired about 370 years ago in the Kato Period. For the castle’s main gate, this square-like structure with firm stone walls, was purposefully distorted in some places to prevent being able to see inside. The Masugata provided an advantage of being able to attack the enemy from three dimensions.
The castle was built in 1384 and destroyed after the Boshin War of 1868. The castle was rebuilt in the 1960s and latest renovation were completed in 2011 and the roof tiles were changed from grey to its original color red.
Mushabashiri is the name used to describe the stairs in the rock walls around the castle. Musha means samurai and hashiri means rushing or running. Here the stairs were built in a V shape and used by the defending samurai to climb up and down from the walls and turrets in case of an attack. They are one of the distinguishing features of the rock walls of Tsurugajo-castle and are a good example of the masonry techniques used at the time.
A multi story building called the Osangai (the three story building) once stood here. It is told that this building was an important place for the lord to consult in secret with his chief retainers. Exvavation is under way with the goal of restoring the building to its original state. The building itself is currently located at Amida-ji Temple in Aizu Wakamtsu City.
Aizu Matsudaira’s Royal Oyakuen
1429-41 The Feudal Lord Ashina built a holiday house on this site. 1670 Lord Hoshina began growing herbs here. 1696 Lord Matsudaira established a garden.
1932 The garden was designated a national cultural treasure. 1979 The whoe area including the house and garden was established as national cultural treasure.
The garden’s name Oyakuen comes from promoting the health benefits of growing Ginseng to the local people.
About 600 years ago, an old man saved the residents of a local village from an epidemic by using water he carried from a spiritual spring named Tsuruga-shimizu. The village people showed their gratitude by building a shrine and named it the Asahi Shrine. In 1432, Lord Morihisa Ashina, lord at the time, built his second house near this sacred place. The garden was renovated in1696 into a typcial Japanese-style garden with a path on which the lord could stroll, passing ponds and springs in the garden. During the Boshin Civil War, the Tea House, Ochaya-goten, was used as a treatment center for wounded soldiers of the opposing army. In 1932, the garden was designated a National Site of Scenic Beauty and was opened to the public in 1953.
In 1867, after the fall of the shogunate, some loyal people to the shogun tried to resist the new government. They got defeated at the Tsuruga Castle in 1868. Some 20 young Aizu soldiers in the age of 14 to 16 called Byakkotai (White Tiger Corps), saw Tsuruga Castle bursting into flames and decided to commit suicide called seppuku. Only one soldier did not succeed. The soldiers were actually misinterpretated the flames as they were actually outside the castle walls. But the loyality made the soldiers famous and lots of movies and manga were adapted.
Enter the area from the main entrance where you can buy gifts, visiting the museum as well as seeing at least two historical buildings .
I have visited the area July 20, 2013 and September 21, 2013
First, I went up with this escalator which costs a few yen. Ich fuhr zuerst mit der Rolltreppe hoch für ein paar Yen.
Tombs of the Byakkotai soldiers. Die Gräber der Byakkotai Soldaten.
Statue of a Byakkotai soldier. Die Statue eines Byakkotai Soldaten.
Walking down the hill to the Pagoda. Danach lief ich runter zur Pagode.
Sazaedo Pagoda is the only wooden building remaining from the mid-Edo Period. Die Sazaedo Pagode ist die einzig noch bestehende aus Holz aus der mittleren Edo-Zeit.
Sadakichi Iinuma, 1854-1931, was the sole survivor of the warrior group Byakkotai a group made up of 19 young boys who committed mass suicide on top of Iimori Mountain. It was Sadakichi’s legacy to pass on the tale of the Byakkotai to future generations. The warriors wer all 15 and 16 years old, but Sadakichi lied about his age in order to become part of the group. He was only 14 when he fought in the Boshin War as a member of Byakkotai. The members were in retreat when they reached the top of Iimoir Mountain. There, thought they saw Tsurugajo Castle enveloped in flames and smoke. Thinking that the Castle had fallen to the enemy, the boys committed suicide by ritual disembowelment.
go to next page