B u l g u k s a
Jinhyeon-dong - Gyeongju-si - Gyeongsangbuk-do
August 9, 2007
Precincts of Bulguksa, Gyeongju
The construction of this temple was begun by Prime Minister Gim Dae-seong in 751, the 10th year of King Gyeongdeok, and completed in 774, the 10th year of King Hyegong. The temple served as a center of Silla Buddhism and of prayer for the protection of the country from foreign invasion. The entire temple was burnt down by Japanese invaders in 1593, the 26th year of Joseon King Seonjo, because the temple was used as a base of the volunteer militia. Though the main hall and a few other principal buildings were rebuilt, it was not until 1969-73 that it was completely restored after thorough research, investigation and excavation of the ancient temple site.
Important cultural properties from the Unified Silla period located on the premises include the two stone pagodas, Seokgatap and Dabotap pagodas, Yeonhwagyo and Cheongungyo bridges, Anyangmun gate, the seated gilt bronze Amitabha statue enshrined in the Geuknakjeon hall, and the seated gilt bronze Vairocana statue in the Birojeon. All these works and other Buddhist relics attest to the flowering of Buddhist art and culture of Silla. In 1995, along with Seokguram grotto, the temple was designated as the world cultural heritage by the UNESCO.
back to index
or next page