Banner2

                                 “It might be too late to change the world, but never too late to see it”

Los Angeles Downtown

US CA_LA29

Dodger Stadium 1000 Elysian Park Ave, Los Angeles

Das Stadium befindet sich im Elysian Park. Auch wenn kein Spiel stattfindet, lohnt sich ein kurzer Besuch allein schon wegen der Aussicht auf LA Downtown vom Parkplatz aus.
Hierzu fuhr ich rechts am Eingang vor und teilte mit, dass ich zum Gift Shop möchte. Ich hatte mich an der blauen Linie auf dem Boden gehalten, die direkt zum Parking Lot P führt.
The stadium is located in Elysian Park. Even if no game takes place, a short visit is worth the effort because of the view of LA Downtown from the parking lot.
For this I drove to the right at the entrance and told that I want to go to the Gift Shop. I had kept to the blue line on the ground that leads directly to Parking Lot P.

Das einzige größte Baseball Stadium seit 1923 was durch private Finanzierung erbaut wurde. “Erste Spatenstich” 17. September 1959; Eröffnungsspiel fand am 10. April 1962 statt; am 12. April 1962 gewidmet an alle loyalen und geduldigen Fans, für die sich die ganze Mühe lohnte.

The single largest baseball stadium since 1923, which was built by private funding. "Groundbreaking" September 17, 1959; Opening Game took place on April 10, 1962; On April 12, 1962 dedicated to all loyal and patient fans, for whom the effort was worthwhile.

US CA_LA31

US CA_LA32

Skyline Downtown from parking lot Dodger Stadium
US CA_LA30

Walt Disney Concert Hall
111 S Grand Ave, Los Angeles,
www.laphil.com

WDCH wurde von Frank Gehry konstruiert. Yasuhisa Toyota von Nagata Acoustics sorgte für die außerordentlich gute Akustik.
You can explore the structure itself from the outside. The WDCH was constructed by Frank Gehry. The great acoustics comes from Yasuhisa Toyota from Nagata Acoustics.

US CA_LA33

US CA_LA69

City Hall

200 N. Spring Street, Los Angeles, CA 90012
Haupteingang befindet sich auf der Main Street zwischen E. Temple St. und 1st Street. Es gibt kein direktes Parken an der City Hall. Nur ein paar wenige meter parking auf E. Temple Street Ecke N. Los Angeles Street nah des Haupteinganges.
Die “City Hall” wurde entworfen von den Architekten Albert C. Martin, John C. Austin und John Parkinson und in 1928 fertiggestellt. Sie wurde bereits in zahlreichen Filmen genutzt wie fuer “War of the Worlds”, 1953, “Superman” als Daily Planet, “LA Confidential”, 1997 und der Haupteingang wird gern genutzt um es wie der Eingang eines Gerichtssaal aussehen zu lassen.
Die City Hall ist für die Oeffentlichkeit zugaenglich. Es gibt nur eine kleine Sicherheitsüberprüfung. Nachdem man auch einen “visitor” Sticker erhalten hat, kann man durch die City Hall laufen und auch mit dem Fahrstuhl zum Tom Bradley Tower hochfahren und von dort die Aussicht genießen.
Main entrance is on Main Street between E. Temple St. and 1st Street. There is no direct parking at the City Hall, but some street parking near the main entrance just on E. Temple Street at the corner of N. Los Angeles Street. The “City Hall” was designed by the architects Albert C. Martin, John C. Austin und John Parkinson and completed in 1928. The City Hall was used and is still in several movies and TV series such as “War of the Worlds” 1952, “Superman” as the Daily Planet, “LA Confidential” 1997 and the entrance is mostly used to pretend that it is the entrance of a cour house.
The City Hall is open to the public. You just have to go through a security check real quick, getting a “visitor” sticker and then you can walk around and also enjoy the nice view from the Tom Bradley Tower.

“Sister Cities Monument”, N. Main Street / 1st Street.

US CA_LA34

LA hat insgesamt 25 Sister Cities. Unter ihnen befindet sich auch Berlin. LA has 25 Sister Cities worldwide. Among them is also Berlin/Germany.
LA has 25 Sister Cities which are ...

Afrika & Mittlerer Osten

Amerika

Asien

Europa

Ozeanien

Giza, Egypt

Salvador, Brasilia

Mumbai, India

Yerevan, Armenia

Auckland, New Zealand

Teheran, Iran

Vancouver, Canada

Jakarta, Indonesia

Split, Croatia

 

Eilat, Israel

San Salvador, El Salvador

Nagoya, Japan

Bordeaux, France

 

Beirut, Libanon

Mexico City, Mexico

Guangzhou, Republic of China

Berlin, Germany

 

Lusaka, Zambia

 

Makati City, Philippins

Athen, Greece

 

 

 

Busan, South Korea

Ischia, Italy

 

 

 

Tapei, Taiwan

Kaunas, Litauen

 

 

 

 

St. Petersburg, Russia

 

Dieser Eingang (geschloßen) befindet sich genau auf der gegenüberliegenden Seite (an N. Spring St.) vom Haupteingang. Der schöne Eingang wird oft für Film und Fernsehen genutzt als Gerichtsgebäude oder für eine Polizeistation.
This entrance which remains closed is on the exact opposite (on N. Spring St.) site of the main entrance. This beautiful entrance is often used in movies such for the entrance of a court house.

US CA_LA35

US CA_LA36

US CA_LA37

Von der City Hall aus gibt es eine schöne Aussicht auf die LA Downtown. Enjoying a great view over LA Downtown.

US CA_LA38

US CA_LA39

US CA_LA40

US CA_LA41

one of the famous old murals - the bride and the groom
US CA_LA50

Another famous mural - the dancing greek
Victor Clothing Company - 242 S. Broadway, Mural by Eloy Torrez.    
100 Fuß hohes Mural von Anthony Quinn, dem tanzenden Griechen. Für seine Rolle als Zorba gewann Quinn einen Oscar.
100 foot tall mural of Anthony Quinn the dancing greek. He won an Oscar for his role as Zorba.
US CA_LA51

US CA_LA53

Angels Flight

Eröffnet 1901, Angels Flight ist die kürzeste Zugverbindung der Welt.
Angels Flight wurde am 1. Februar 2001 aufgrund eines Unfalls geschloßen. Eines der Züge löste sich und prallte in ein Auto. Ein 83-jähriger Holocaust Überlebender wurde getötet, eine 80-jährige Frau sowie 7 weitere Personen verletzt. 3.5 Millionen Dollar wurden an Spenden aufgebracht, um Angels Flight zu reparieren. Es wurde dann endlich nach 9 Jahren am 15. März 2010 wiedereröffnet. Die Fahrt dauert keine Minute und kostet 25 Cent. Das Ticket wird oben an der Station gekauft. Angebot: 5 Fahrten für 1 US-Dollar.
Opened in 1901 and is the “shortest railway in the world”. Angels Flight was closed on February 1, 2001 due to an accident. One cart got loose and smashed into a car and killed a 83 year old Holocaust survivor and injured his 80 year old wife and 7 other persons. 3.5 Mio. USD were raised for repairment and upgrade of the Angels Flight. Angels Flight was reopened after 9 years on March 15, 2010. The not even one minute ride costs 25 cent which is paid up on the hill. Offer: 5 rides for one dollar.

US CA_LA58

US CA_LA59

US CA_LA60

The great view from upstairs

US CA_LA55

Das Gebbäude zur Rechten hat eine tolle Illusion (Mural). - The building to your right got a cool mural.
US CA_LA56

Grand Central Market - 317 S. Broadway

Das Gebäude wurde als ein Warenhaus  in 1897 gebaut. In 1917 wurde die unterste Etage umgebaut und fortan als Market genutzt.
It was built in 1897 as an emporium. The ground floor was remodeled in 1917 as a market.

US CA_LA61

US CA_LA62

US CA_LA63

LA Downtown hat natürlich auch eine Geschichte vorzuweisen. Okay, diese geht ca. nur 100 Jahre zurück, aber trotzdem. Laufen wir mal kurz zur Spring Street, die auch Filmgeschichte aufzeigen kann.
Spring Street wurde betrachtet als “The Wall Street of the West”. Um Ronald Reagan Building befinden sich Beaux-Arts Gebäude, die einst Geschäftsräumen einen Platz
gaben. Auf der Spring Street und unweit vom Ronald Reagan Gebäude befindet sich die City Hall.

Spring Street was considered as “The Wall Street of the West”. You will see around Ronald Reagan Building some Beaux-Arts Building which housed important businesses. The City Hall is also situated on Spring Street close to Ronald Reagan Building.

Wall Street of the West - In Northern California, they panned gold in the mountain canyons. In Southern California, they made gold, in the concrete Canyons of Spring Street. In the 1920s, as Los Angeles flexed as new urban strength, its financial heart beat sturdily on Spring Street, “the Wall Street of the West” where banks and financial institutions prospered along with the fledgling city. At its center was the five-story stock exchange for which ground was broken a week before the stock market plunge in the fall of 1929 helped to usher in the in the Great depression. The era’s optimism is visible in the exuberant Beaux Arts architecture of Spring Street of the 1920s, when the Merchants National Bank, Union Oil, Mortgage Guarantee, Banks Huntley and the venerable Title Insurance and Trust Company all set up shop on Spring Street. Many of these tycoons‘ office-building facades still stand virtually intact, which accounts for Spring Street’s popularity with movie studios and television companies looking to capture authentic period cityscapes.
First Skyscraper – 12 Stories High – More than a score of these buildings were designed by architect John Parkinson, whose Braly Building, built in 1904, started it all. At 12 stories, it was the city’s first skyscraper, and except for City Hall and the gorgeous black-and-gold towers of the Richfield Building, it remained a giant until 1957m when a law prohibiting buildings taller than City Hall was repealed.
Center of Commerce to Center of Power to Sound Stage – By the 1920s, City Hall was built on North Spring Street, defining the downtown silhouette for decades,  even being depicted on the city’s police badges. City Hall’s 26 stories are topped by a beacon named in honor of Charles A. Lindbergh, who made his historic transatlantic flight the year City Hall opened. Its public arcades and galleries are highlighted in gold leaf, marble and teakwood; the exquisite rotunda’s floor is a geometric mosaic of 400 pieces of marble. Hollywood film crews are almost as omnipresent as civil servants; the building served as Superman’s newspaper, „The Daily Planet“, Martians death-rayed it in „War of the Words“, and giant ants scaled its California-granite facade in the sci-fi film „Them!“ It was the center of intrigue in 1997’s „L.A. Confidential“. Despite City Hall and the ubiquitous film crews. Spring Street never again became as prosperous and bustling as it had been in the 1920s. One of the very few new edifices on Spring Street is the 1990 Roland Reagan State Building. Alongside the lobby’s reflecting pool are sculptures of California cougars,, and of the extinct California grizzly, the bear on the state flag.

      Them, LA Confidential (Movie Links)

         Must-See, Must-Stay Hostelry - The Braly Building was still new when the city’s most elegant hotel - and its first class-A fireproof building - opened its doors in 1906. The Alexandria  
         Hotel, (at Fifth and Spring) eight stories tall, was the must-see, must-stay hostelry where the famous and titled danced under the stained-glass come of the Palm Court. Sarah Berrhardt,
         Enrico Caruso and Jack Dempsey were guests in its 500 rooms and suites. The Alexandria’s roster of visiting presidents, present and future, was impressive: William Howard Taft, a
         young Theodore Roosevelt, and Woodrow Wilson, who pushed for support for the League of Nations from the Alexandria. Most famously, the Alexandria Hotel was where  
         Hollywood’s earliest stars and geniuses, Charlie Chaplin who kept a suite in the hotel - D.W. Griffith Mary Pickford and Douglas Fairbanks met in 1919 to form their own movie-making
         organizations, Unites Artists.

Biddy Mason Park, Broadway Spring Center, 333 South Spring Street, LA, mo-fri 8am-8pm, sat/sun 9am-8pm.
Lange Zeit vor dem heutigen LA Downtown lebte hier die Sklavin Biddy Mason mit ihren drei Töchtern. Sie folgte ihrem Master nach Kalifornien in 1851 (sie lief hinter seinem Pferdewagen hinterher). In 1856 ging sie vor Gericht um ihre Freilassung zu erwirken, da der Staat längst ein Gesetz gegen Sklaverei erlassen hatte. Biddy gewann und ließ sich in Los Angeles nieder und arbeitete fortan als Hebamme. 10 Jahre später erwarb sie ein Haus wo sie ein Weisenhaus betrieb. Sie gründete die erste “First African Methodist Episcopal Church” auf dem Land was sie kaufte und stiftete es der Kirche. Biddy erwarb viele Grundstücke wo sich nun Downtown befindet. Eine große Gedenktafel an der 333 South Spring Street weist die Geschichte Biddy Mason auf.
Long before there was Downtown with its shops, offices and theatres, this area was home to the slave Biddy Mason who had 3 daughters. She walked behind her master’s wagon train to California in 1851. In 1856 she went to court to declare her free as the State of California is anti-slavery. She won her freedon and settled down in Los Angeles to work as a midwife. Ten years later she bought a house where she operated an orphanage. She also founded the First African Methodist Episcopal Church on land she bought and then donated to the  church. She purchased numerous parcels in what is now Downtown.

Talked to this gentleman who is homeless. I took that picture of him. Why? He asked me for it after seeing my camera. When I showed him the pic, he started to laugh. The thing is, when you are homless,
you get lonely fast and start to talk to yourself. You are loosing yourself, you won’t see yourself in you anymore because other people are not seeing you, not ineracting with you.
Nobody around to talk to. So his laugh was of sort of joy, seeing himself, but also kinda sad.
US CA_LA65

 

The Bradbury Building

Sandstone to Celluloid ( Wolf, Jack Nicholson, Blade Runner)
Today, the Bradbury Building, home to corporations, real estate investment firms and the Los Angeles police department’s internal affairs division, is no stranger to fictional law enforcement; the Bradbury’s role in movies has made it familiar to people who have never crossed its threshold. The unexpected death of its namesake and the otherwise undistinguished designs of its creator have not diminished the Bradbury Building’s reputation, and as one of the area’s most popular film settings, it seems assured of immortality as downtown Los Angeles’s most intriguing landmark.
Wyman, who, like Frank Lloys Wright, had no academic credentials as an architect, employed the unusually narrow lot to his advantage. Throughout the Bradbury’s five stories are lavish displays of Italian marble and Mexican floor tiles, two delicate water-powered bird-cage elevators, 288 radiators, 50 fireplaces, 215 wash basins, all as decorative as they were functional - and the largest plate-glass windows in Los Angeles. The interior’s delicate foliate grillwork was made in France and was first displayed at Chicago’s World Fair before being installed. Bradbury never saw his building completed. More than a year before it opened in January 1894, he died It had cost him $500,000, more than twice what he had budgeted for.
Meticulously Restored - Purchased in 1989, and meticulously restored in 1991-92, with the help and encouragement of the Community Redevelopment Agency, by
lawyer-turned-developer, Ira Yellin, the Bradbury Building has once again become one of the city’s most distinguished office buildings. The Bradbury Building was designated a National Historic Landmark by the United States Department of the Interior in 1977.

                      Mining Tycoon L. Bradbury makes his mark - His ame endures in the eponymous town of wealth and horseflesh set against the San Gabriel Mountains, but mining tycoon Louis Bradbury made his loveliest mark on Southern Callifornia with the magnificent architectural gem that also bears his name - the Bradbury Building, known affectionately as “The Bradbury”. One critic has called the space “a fairytale of mathematics”, from its red sandstone exterior to its brick and iron-lace inner spaces. It is one of Los Angeles’ truly breathtaking buildings, its interior as visually exciting for visitors and moviemakers now as it was a century ago - which is exactly what Bradburyy envisioned, a building that would still be modern a hundred years afters its cornerstone was laid. Bradbur, son of a wealthy Maine family, came west in the 1850s, striking it rich in the Mexican gold mines of Mazatlan. At 45, he followed the pattern of other ambitious Yakee newcomers, and married Simona Martinez, a Mazatlan heiress 20 year his junior. After shuttling

 US CA_LA66

US CA_LA67

Blade Runner and the Bradbury Building - A number of different exteriors and interiors representing Sebastian’s home were staged in and around downtonwn Los Angeles’s historic Bradbury Building (located at 304 South Broadway). This much-filmed architectural anomaly is a structure which has seen service in a number of other genre projects, including Harlan Ellison’s classic Outer Limits episode, “Demon with a Glass Hand.” Built in 1893, the Bradbury Building is a local historical landmark whose architectural purity had been threatened by a series of safety code modifications at the time of the Blade Runner shoot, in fact, the structure had fallen into a serious state of disrepair (however, it was completely renovated in the early 1990s). Commissioned by millionaire Lewis Bradbury, it was designed by architect George Wyman (who had been inspired by Edward Bellamy’s Looking Backward, an early utopian novel set in the year 2000 and featuring descriptions of numerous futuristic commercial buildings). Inside the building, the Blade Runner crew chose to stage scenes featuring the building’s geometrically patterned stairways, wrought-iron railings and open-cage elevators (still functional today), by filming on the interior ground floor, top floor, central court, lobby, elevators and stairways. Additionally, Scott paid particular attention during interior filming to the center court’s glass-block roof, known to some on the crew as “Sebastian’s atrium”. The interior of the Bradbury was then “dirtied down” by adding varying amounts o trash, smoke, recolving xenon spotlights, dripping water and mannequins. A false wall and door were also erected before one of the Bradbury’s offices to stand in for the entrance to Sebastian’s apartment (the interior of J.F.’s apartment, however, was an elaborate set built inside soundstage 25 on the Warner Bros. lot). 

Charles Spencer Chaplin - 100th Birthday 1889-1989
“The little tramp” sculptor Emmanuil Snitkovsky

US CA_LA64

Beim Verlassen des Bradbury Building sieht man auf der gegenüberliegenden Seite das “Million Dollar Theater”, 307 S. Broadway (leider geschloßen).
Opposite of the Bradbury Building is the “Million Dollar Theatre” closed to public, 307 S. Broadway.
This theatre is one of America’s first motion picture palaces. It was built with a flourish by showman Sid Grauman in 1918, cost USD 1 million, design by William L. Woolett. Charlie Chaplin also attended the opening night on February 1, 1918. The theatre seats 2220, a spanish Colonial cathedral.

US CA_LA68

Die Bona vista bar(dreht sich alle 30 minuten) bietet eine Bar und ein gutes Steak House.
The Bona Vista Bar (its rotating every 30 minutes) also has a nice Steak House.  404 S Figueroa St., Los Angeles, CA90071, Tel. (213) 612-4743
Schauplatz des Films “In the line of fire” mit Clint Eastwood ist der oben gezeigte Brunnen sowie der Fahrstuhl mit dem man selber hochfahren kann um von den oberen Etagen etwas den Ausblick zu genießen. Auf dem Weg nach oben hat man einge gute Aussicht, da der Fahrstuhl aus Glas ist und Außen verläuft.
The above shown fountain and the elevator are the location where a scene from Clint Eastwood’s movie “In the line of fire” was shot. There is a plaque next to the elevator. You can take the elevator to enjoy a ride in the glassed elevator and to have a nice view from one of the upper floors.

Das Hotel war Schauplatz in mehreren Filmen wie im Clint Eastwood Film “In the line of Fire” wo er mit seinem Pferd den Aufzug hochfährt.
The Hotel was in several movies such as in the Clint Eastwood movie “In the Line of Fire” where he uses the elevator with riding his horse.

US CA_LA70

 

US CA_LA42

Diese wundervollen viktorianischen Privathäuser, befinden sich in der Carroll Ave. (nahe Dodger Stadium).
Diese Gegend nennt sich “Angeleno Heights” und gilt als erster Vorort von Los Angeles. Diese Gegend wurde Mitte 1880 von William W. Stilson und Everett E. Hall konstruiert.
Carroll Avenue ist ein registrierter historischer Distrikt und wurde 1983 in Los Angeles als erstes historisches Distrikt anerkannt. Die Nachbarschaft war in vielen Filmen, TV Shows und TV Werbungen
zu sehen. Für Touren siehe hier
http://www.laconservancy.org/ und dann links “Walking Tours” auswählen.
These wonderful private victorian style homes, are in Carroll Ave. (close to Dodger Stadium). This part is called “Angeleno Heights” in LA Downtown area. It was constructed by William W. Stilson and Everett E. Hall in the mid 1880. Carroll Ave. is a registered historical district appointed in 1983. This neighbourhood is also used for filming.
If you are interested in a nearly 2 hour tour and also would like to see two homes on Carroll Ave. from inside - especially the CHARMED house, please have a look at http://www.laconservancy.org/ then go to “Walking Tours”. Please be advised that momentarely only tours on the first saturday in the month are offered.

CHARMED House, on Carroll Ave.
Auf der Tour besucht man zwei Häuser. Eines davon ist das Haus, welches in der TV Serie Charmed genutzt wird. Der Besitzer wohnt gegenüber und öffnet die Türen für uns. Die meisten viktorianischen Häusern hatten oder haben noch nahe der Treppe eine kleine Liege und einen Stuhl. Diese wurden damals von den Damen des Hauses genutzt, die mit ihren langen schweren Kleidern (keine Klimaanlage damals vorhanden) die Treppe hinunterkamen und so sehr durch die Hitze außer Atem waren, dass sie sich auf diesen kleinen Liegen nahe der Treppe hinlegen mussten bevor sie gar in Ohnmacht fielen würden. Die Hausangestellte saß fächernd daneben.

On the walking tour you get a chance to see two victorian houses from inside. The one is the below showed private home which was used in the TV Serie Charmed. The owner lives across the street and opens also his doors to you.
Usually they had a bench and a chair next to the stairs for the lady of the house who wear a long and heavy dress. As they do not have air condition, the women nearly passed out when coming down the stairs. Therefore they had to lay down on the bench while the maid blowed her air with a fan.

US CA_LA44

This house is next to the Charmed House which was used as Phoebe’s boyfriend’s house.
US CA_LA43

Michael Jackson’s Thriller House, 1345 Carroll Ave.
US CA_LA45

Vor diesem Haus existiert noch immer eine Originalhalterung für die Pferdekutschen. Daneben sieht man einen Teil eines Steins (siehe folgende Fotos). Die Frauen trugen damals lange schwere Kleider, sodaß sie nicht ohne Hilfe von diesem Stein in die Pferdekutsche gelangen.
In front of this house you see the horse thingy where the horse got tied to. Next to (see next pictures) is the original stone where women with their long and heavy dresses stepped on in order get into the horse carriage.

US CA_LA48

US CA_LA49

          This is the stone the women stepped on in order to get into the horse carriage.
US CA_LA47

back to index   or  go to next page